Prayers ARE heard.

Father of Five rule of thumb...  Do not talk about work (or talk VERY LITTLE about work) on the blog.

This post?  An rare exception.

Today, as I was leaving work after sitting in a meeting all day - I entered our PSAP...

PSAP = Public Safety Answering Point - a fancy term for a 911 center
(You can see a photo of one of our workstations HERE if you are interested)

... anyway, as I entered our PSAP, it was IMMEDIATLY evident that something significant was going on. 

My partners both had blank stares on their faces, and a horrified look about them.  I quickly glanced over at the CAD screen, and from my vantage point, I could tell that there was a significant incident going on.  It was one single call on the screen, and all but a couple of officers were on it.  The screen was full of red.  Red means two things on my CAD monitor.  It means a unit's status is "on scene" for their call (vs "dispatched", "en-route", "arrived", or "code 4") and it means the call the officer is on is a Priority 1 call.   

202 It is not uncommon for a large number of officers to be working a single "Priority 1" call.  But the look in my partner's faces told me something was not right. 

I was informed that one of our officers (actually, one of our Patrol Sergeants) was involved in an accident.  This is something I hate hearing, but nothing I have not worked before...  But in this case, it was one of our Motorcycle officers, and  in this case, the accident was "significant".

I was told that our Sergeant was transported to the Hennepin County Medical Center.  HCMC (as it is called in my world) is the closest "Level 1 trauma center".   

I will not be going into any details, but the word we were receiving was... Less than reassuring. 

Even though it was my scheduled time to go home, as I started gathering up my "man bag", I could hear the emotions of the dispatchers who handled the call coming to a boiling point.  I plugged in, logged in, and sat down to help relieve some of the added stress.  A fourth dispatcher (who was on break when this happened, and rushed back) plugged back in, and together we sent the original two out of the PSAP for a much needed, and well deserved break.

I stayed long enough to allow the two working dispatchers to regain their composure, and headed home.

My commute (a 30 minute commute) was spent in heavy prayer for my Sergeant.  For his wife, and children, and parents.  I prayed that he be all right, and that if at all possible the devastation of a LODD (line of duty death) pass our department by.

The Sergeant was HEAVY on my mind.  I had made arrangements with my partners that ANY word be delivered to me by phone, cellular, or pager as it is made available.  I held the phone in my hand awaiting news.  Dinner rolled around, and I found my appetite non-existent.  I went through the motions, but hung by my phone awaiting news.

About 3/4 of the way through dinner, the phone rang.  The caller ID displayed "City of Bloomington".  I lifted the receiver to my ear - worried about what I was going to hear... 

The news was good. 

Again, without getting into a lot of details, I'll say that his condition and prognosis was much better than when I had been hearing as I left work.

Prayers ARE answered...

This Sergeant and I "came up" in the department together.  He was the second officer hired after I started - and we were both "green behind the gills" together.  He has always been respectful of our roll as dispatchers, and both as a officer and a Sergeant - would frequently stop up and shoot the breeze with us.

I look forward to several more years of working both WITH and FOR this Sergeant, and my prayers will continue to be with him, and with his family throughout his recovery.

I also wish to commend my co-workers, who worked through a SIGNIFICANTLY traumatic event, and did so professionally.  You both earned my admiration tonight!


Links to the news coverage of the accident.

LINK 1, LINK 2, Link 3, LINK 4,


  1. I'm glad to hear the outcome was good!
    Your job sounds *very* stressful!

  2. Motorcycle accidents are chilling in the best of circumstances. I'll keep all of you in my thoughts - the sergeant for a quick uncomplicated recovery, his family for strength and the rest of you for lightened hearts.

  3. Glad that you got good news. I hope the other cyclist is okay as well.


Did you reach the Bottom of this blog?

If you have read down to here and are interested in reading more, be sure to click here, click on the "Older Posts" link to your right, or use the "Archive" tool on the right sidebar. Thanks for visiting!